Teen facing charges after 14-year-old slashed with boxcutter inside Freeport High School on Long Island

FREEPORT, N.Y. — A 14-year-old was slashed with a boxcutter on Wednesday inside a Long Island high school.

It happened during school hours, sending Freeport High School into lockdown around 1 p.m.

The 15-year-old suspect is due in court Thursday for his arraignment.

Nassau County Police said he attacked the other teen after getting into some kind of argument.

Sources tell CBS New York the victim was either slashed or punctured at least three times.

Authorities said he suffered non-life-threatening injuries and went to a local hospital with his parents.

Meanwhile, the suspect was taken into custody right away. He faces two assault charges and possession of a dangerous weapon.

Because of their ages, the students’ names have not been released.

For students, their uncertainty to return Thursday was met with extra security as they arrived, with bag checks greeting them at the front doors.

“Scared about it because of all these weapons,” one student said.

Parents sounded off as well.

“Bringing weapons into school is dangerous and allowing them to get into school,” Lionel Humphry said.

“I don’t know where these kids get all these weapons from,” another parent said.

“That made me feel insecure,” Jose Rodriguez added.

Tatiana Arieta said she was in gym class when the school went into lockdown.

“I had to stay there for three periods,” the senior said.

Karen Walker, the president of the school’s Parent Teacher Student Association, said while she supports Thursday’s added security, she believes the school should take it a step further by adding metal detectors every day.

“That way, the metal detector will go off and we will know what’s in the bag,” Walker said.

However, Walker also said she doesn’t want this one incident to overshadow all the good the school does.

“We do a lot in the community for the children,” Walker said. “Because of one incident, it spoils everything.”

Freeport School District Superintendent Dr. Kishore Kuncham sent the following message to parents: 

Dear Freeport Families,

As a follow up, on Wednesday, Nov. 1, an isolated incident occurred at our high school between two students resulting in one student requiring medical attention and the second student being arrested.  We have been in contact with and have extended our support to the impacted students and their families.  

Our highest priority is always the safety of our students and staff and we are deeply troubled and concerned about this incident. While this is an isolated incident, this type of behavior will not be tolerated and does not represent our entire student body or our district’s values. The incident is currently being investigated, the district will be addressing it with the utmost seriousness and taking appropriate disciplinary action.  

Classroom conversations with students regarding appropriate behaviors toward others while in school and our responsibility to provide a safe environment for all students are ongoing. We will continue to reinforce these messages, we want to assure you again that we have safety protocols in place that are constantly reviewed and our schools are safe.

We ask that you use this unfortunate incident as an opportunity to speak with your children about appropriate behavior while in school, the importance of mutual respect and reassure them that their schools are safe. Please encourage your children to report any information to you, a school official or to the anonymous alerts reporting application. The cooperation and collaboration of the community is integral and we thank you for your continued support.